13 October 2010

Print on Demand (POD) Digital Printing Presses

One of my major goals once I return to the States is to set up my own printing business. In this business I would control the content, publishing, and distribution of books and comics, as a spring-board to greater things. While being the CEO of this little company, I'd also be a writer.
The problem: finding a good Digital Printing Press.

I started with Xerox (http://www.xerox.com/) and the Xerox Nuvera™ 200/288 EA Perfecting Production System. Along with the C.P. Bourg Manual and Book Factory, I would be able to print hundreds of copies, especially if I had four to five of these presses. The only Issue I have right now is price...as in I have no clue how much one of these costs. It's not posted on the site, and when I called the company for specifics, I was passed around to agents and such. Can't I just get a straight answer?

A new development I just disovered is the Espresso Book Machine from On Demand Books, LLC (http://www.ondemandbooks.com/). This little video shows how the machine works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q946sfGLxm4&feature=grec_index. Pretty cool, if you ask me. But then you look at the brochure and the prices. $97,500 for the machine alone, $3,000 for spare parts, and $5,000 for the SelfEspress self-publishing software. That's over $100,000 for that little machine! And it's smaller than the Xerox models. So how much do those cost?

So I have some work to do on estimating the cost for my business...I'm hoping under $1million at this point.
Tomorrow or Friday I will have some small fiction to post.

No comments:

Post a Comment