23 May 2012

Reaching the Frontier

I'm sure you've all heard the glorious news already that Space X has successfully launched its Falcon 9 rocket carrying their Dragon capsule yesterday, after an abort on the 19th. If you haven't, you can read about it HERE.

Are you excited? Are you? Because I AM! I. AM. STOKED. This is a great leap toward broader private space exploration and travel.

Even cooler is Space X joining forces with Bigelow Aerospace to launch their BA 330 habitats to create private space stations for research and for commercial travel/vacations, as reported HERE. How cool is that? Science fiction is quickly transforming into science fact. And let's not forget to mention that Planetary Resources is working to make mining asteroids a viable industry.

Honestly, I'm squeeing a bit right now.

That's right. I said squee. What, you wanna fight about it?

I think that, realistically, I've accepted I won't be the first human being on Mars. (I can still dream, though...) I have zero advanced math or science education, zero engineering education, no mechanical ability, and with contacts correcting my vision I can't be a pilot. NASA, Space X, Bigelow Aerospace, and Planetary Resources have very little use for me, even with my background in logistics and supply management. And good looks only get a body so far. (hyuk hyuk hyuk)

But private space travel and exploration offers the average mongoloid-neanderthal schmuck - namely me - an opportunity to go into space, to experience it, and to support the operations in space...asteroid mining will require supply management - contracts and purchase orders will be issued, a supply chain will develop, and all those workers will want their McDonalds burgers, Starbucks coffees, and Apple products.

Maybe not all hope is lost?

Or I could win the lottery, quit my job, and enroll to get a mechanical engineering degree. *shrug* Like I said, I can dream.

Until next time. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment